Minor League RulesUpdated Sunday February 28, 2016 by Bob Cassara.
Somers In-Town Minors Rules
1. No metal or screw in type cleats may be worn.
2. All players must play at least two (2) full innings in the field and one (1) time at bat in six
or seven inning contest, three (3) full innings in the field and two (2) times at bat in nine
3. All players will be line-up. Batting the roster is in effect. Any late arriving players will be
entered into the next available spot in the batting order.
4. Ten (10) players maximum are permitted in the field.
5. When catcher is on base with 2 outs, courtesy runner will be used.
6. Runner may not leave base until the ball reaches home plate.
7. Stealing of 2 nd and 3 rd base is permitted. Stealing of home is not.
8. Continuation play: to prevent a base runner who has just received a base-on-balls from
further advancement, the team in the field must have the pitcher in the dirt area of the
9. No slap/slash bunting allowed.
10. Parents or spectators are not allowed behind the backstop while the game is being played.
11. Batter will be called out on a dropped third strike.
12. No mercy rule, although coaches should always encourage good sportsmanship.
13. An inning is over when a third out is recorded or when each player has taken a turn at bat.
14. Game is six (6) innings or time permitted (2 hours). No new inning shall begin after 1
hour 45 minutes from scheduled start time.
15. Scores may be kept, although coaches should never lose sight of good sportsmanship.
16. Bases will be 60 feet apart.
17. Infield fly rule is not in effect.
18. Pitching rules as follows:
1. A new Pitcher must pitch in every new inning. If a pitcher is relieved the new
pitcher can finish the inning, and pitch the next inning at the discretion of the
coach. The coach must be mindful of the pitcher’s pitch count which should be no
greater than 40 pitches. If the pitcher pitches 40 pitches he/she needs to be pulled
from the mound.
2. Pitcher is not allowed more than 3 walks per inning.
3. Pitchers hitting three batters during a game will be removed.
4. Breaking ball pitches are not permitted. The first observance incident will result
in a called ‘ball’ and a warning to the pitcher. Second observed incident will
resulting in a called ‘ball’ and removal of pitcher.
5. Once pitcher is removed from game, he is not permitted to re-enter as the pitcher.
6. Pitcher must have at least two full days rest in between pitching assignments.
19. No contact rule will be in effect. Players must slide to avoid contact with players at any
base. It is the sole responsibility of the umpire to call the runner OUT. No phantom tags.
20. Free substitution in the field is permitted.
21. A manager may make as many trips as necessary to the mound per inning.
22. Baseball allowed for league play must be RIF level 10 only.
23. Bats must be approved for Little League play. No big barrel (-3 or -5) bats are allowed.
24. Pitchers must wear a heart guard while pitching. Heart guards and athletic supporters are
recommended for all players.25. First basemen, batters and runners must wear helmets at all times.
26. Coaches must inspect the catcher’s equipment (league & player owned) and make sure
the catcher’s mask has a throat guard. Hockey style masks also require throat guards.
27. There is to be no arguing with the umpire should a coach argue with an umpire he/she
may be rejected from the game, and may become ineligible to continue to coach in the